Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Cookie Monster of the Book World.

Lately, all I want to do is lose myself in books.  Like a Book obsessed Cookie Monster.  Bookie Monster.  "Letter B!  B is for Bookies... Nom nom nomnom."

I think I am simply too drained to live my own life.

Which is a shame, cos it's pretty exciting right now.  Costume meeting for the Macabre Cabaret tonight.  Costumes!  So much more fun that real clothes!  I can spend days and weeks planning a costume that I wear once or twice, but organising my everyday clothes to look less frumpy?  Nah, I am totally rocking the middle aged housewife look. :-p

So the last few weeks, I have managed to read (... or devoured words of pages with an intensity I haven't felt since I first discovered fantasy novels and had to read them ALL AT ONCE):


The Hunger Games.  Cos if it is a book before the movie, I read before I watch. 

The Mortal Instruments trilogy.  So wow.  So love the angst and agony and mythology in this series.


Magic Flute.  Eva Ibbotson has been a favourite author since I first bought "Which Witch?" from the Scholastic Book order forms in Primary school.  In the Magic Flute, she manages again to combine practicality, sentimentality and intensity in my favourite era in history, the early 1900's.

I have minimal interest in books about real life.  Unless I am on a research bent, then I devour them voraciously, leaving a messy trail on undecodable notes in my trail, that I never collate into anything readable, and don't remember the results of a year later.

I am a very unfinished person.

And, there are a few chapters of the Mortal Instruments trilogy left, the four sleeping tweenies are still quietly sprawled out asleep all over the lounge room floor... I think I'm going to sneak in some more reading time.



8 comments:

  1. *beaming* I so love escaping into books! My kiddos are 5 and 2, so it's a particularly rare treat to have that alone time! I devoured the Hunger Games trilogy (no pun intended ;) ) and adore finding new books to dive into. I must check out the other two mentioned! If you don't mind a bit of morbid darkness, you should check out The Graveyard Book! I say you sneak in more reading time post-haste so I can live vicariously through you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Kitty, I remember that age of "Mama no get to read, Mama play with ME!".
      This morning, I finished City of Glass and now have nothing new to read, so I will check out the Graveyard book. Thanks for that!

      Delete
  2. Escaping into books is ALMOST as good as escaping to somewhere great in OZ!! I've had "Hunger Games" on my 'to read' list for ages - then yesterday I was just reading about 'A Game of Thrones' (by George RR Martin) that sounds pretty good too!! I almost wish it'd rain for a week so I had an excuse to hunker down and get reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Red, Reading about your wanders into the wonders of Oz is my favourite way to travel. :-)
      One of my favourite parts of camping is the chance to read for hours. I have run out of space in the house to buy more books, so I am saving for a sony reader. I am thinking this will not be happy going camping... have you tried one on your adventures?
      *adds George RR Martin to her "check into" list* :-)

      Delete
  3. Fantasy books are my escape as well...I can get blissfully lost in them!! I went to the local bookshop and couldn't find the last book in the Mortal Instruments Series. I (slightly panicky and excitedly) asked he man at the counter...he drolly replied....."have you checked the children's section...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* I head to the children's section first. A children's author once stated to me that he has to be more careful, more consistent than a writer of adult fiction, as children pick up on things that aren't flowing correctly, while adults just adapt to the changes and fill in the gaps.
      Love the imaginations that share thee stories with us. :-D

      Delete
  4. My reputation has been ruined my whole life by my reading. I wasn't allowed to read as a youngster because it was lazy. I snuck it in when I was married but still had it thrown in my face by my mother and she still does to this day, in her nursing home with dementia. I have been criticised by the man of the house to other people, not to my face. Really funny how the house is always clean, clothes clean and ironed, food in cupboards, bills paid, etc etc. I just now refuse to hold the end of a roll of barbed wire and do fencing for him. Gee.. where did all that come from??? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *horrified expression* LAZY! It's the best way to learn spelling, to learn about cultures other than your own, historical era's other than your own and concepts outside of your local area. Or travelling, but Books can take you anywhere/when.
      Hubby was somewhat startled by my reading addiction, as it did not come to his attention until after we had moved in together. But to disapprove and talk behind your back is not the way to build a strong relationship.
      I think you need to do a post about this and let it really come out of you. *hugs*

      Delete